West Ham United 3-2 Manchester United: Upton Park farewell defeat dents United’s Champions League hopes

West Ham United 3-2 Manchester United
during the Barclays Premier League match between West Ham United and Manchester United at the Boleyn Ground on May 10, 2016 in London, England. West Ham United are playing their last ever home match at the Boleyn Ground after their 112 year stay at the stadium. The Hammers will move to the Olympic Stadium for the 2016-17 season.

By Andy Hyslop

  • Defeat leaves United two points behind City with one game to play
  • United host Bournemouth on final day

Despite a double from the returning Anthony Martial wasn’t enough for Manchester United as they went 3-2 to West Ham in the Upton Park farewell.

Emotions were high as West Ham say goodbye to the ground that they have played at for 112 years. The kick-off was delayed by 45 minutes as the Manchester United team coach was attacked by West Ham supporters.

Louis Van Gaal made three changes to the side that beat Norwich on Saturday. Daley Blind and Marcus Rashford returned after being rested while Martial returned after pulling up injured in the warm-up on Saturday.

Blind returned to the centre of United’s defence with Rojo reverting to left-back while Rashford and Martial returned in attack with Memphis and Lingard dropping to the bench.

As the teams entered the pitch the atmosphere was electric and West Ham started on the front foot as United struggled get into the game in the first 20 minutes of the game.

The atmosphere was revved up when Sakho gave the Hammers the lead on 10 minutes after being playing in by Lanzini. Sakho’s effort took a deflection off Blind that put the ball out of the reach of De Gea.

United then had their work cut out to stay in the game as West Ham looked for more goals. De Gea saving from Payet and Carroll. While Antonio headed in a cross that was adjudged to have gone out of play before curling back into play.

United got a footing in the game towards half-time but failed to create any real chances while Payet mishit a curled effort and Sakho headed over unmarked for West Ham.

Van Gaal made a change at half-time with Carrick replacing Schneiderlin. The Frenchman had been off the pace, struggling to deal with the West Ham midfield runners and giving the ball away on more than one occasion.

Six minutes after the restart United were level as Martial had a simple finish following a pullback from Mata. The goal came from a long kick from De Gea which found Rashford who played in Mata.

The equaliser appeared to motivate West Ham as Payet hit the side-netting and Sakho headed over when once again free in the area and it looked easier to score than miss.

Martial headed off the line as Carroll headed goalwards from a corner before determined play from Rooney led to Martial’s second goal.

Rooney ran through midfield and appeared to have overrun the ball before playing the ball out to Martial, who found his way into the left side of the area before finding the back of the net from a tight angle. Martial appeared to be crossing the ball but netted his 17th goal of an impressive debut campaign.

The lead lasted just four minutes as West Ham struck back as Antonio found himself free in the area and headed home a Payet ball after his initial free-kick was blocked by the United wall.

Four minutes later West Ham were ahead as Winston Reid headed home a Payet free-kick to give West Ham the lead and leave United needing Swansea to beat City and beat Bournemouth themselves to secure Champions League qualification.

Manchester United: De Gea, Valencia (Januzaj 87), Smalling, Blind, Rojo, Schneiderlin (Carrick 46), Herrera (Lingard 83), Rooney, Mata, Martial, Rashford Substitutes Not Used: Romero, Borthwick-Jackson, Jones, Memphis

About Andrew Hyslop 398 Articles

Creator of Sir Alex Ferguson Way and writer of football books https://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B01M1RVX27

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply