Manchester United 3-1 AFC Bournemouth: Rooney star of the show as United sign off with a win

Manchester United 3-1 AFC Bournemouth: Rooney star of the show as United sign off with a win
during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester United and AFC Bournemouth at Old Trafford on May 17, 2016 in Manchester, England.

By Andrew Embling

  • Rooney opens scoring just before half-time
  • Rooney involved in goal for Rashford and Young

Manchester United signed off their league season with a 3-1 victory against Bournemouth.

The match, abandoned at the weekend because of a security alert, showed little in the way of fireworks until the second half with United having an eye on the FA Cup final at the weekend and Bournemouth already seemingly on their holidays.

Louis Van Gaal chose to select the same side as he named on Sunday and captain Wayne Rooney quickly got into his groove as he controlled the game with his range of passing.

United were dominating the game, Martial causing problems down the flank with his pace and trickery.

But despite having the lion’s share of possession in the first 30 minutes United, not for the first time this season, failed to test the opposition goalkeeper with Federici a mere bystander.

Rooney almost picked out Michael Carrick with a well placed free-kick as the game failed to fire with little at stake.

It was being played at times with less intensity than a testimonial game, but Pugh saw his effort blocked by Valencia as the away side found a spark.

But United finally found a way through as Martial and Mata linked up on the edge of the area before Martial crossed for Rooney to finish low past Federici, scoring his 100th league goal at Old Trafford in the process.

Elphick was lucky that the officials failed to spot what looked like a premeditated arm into Rashford’s face right on half time as United went to the break with the advantage.

Bournemouth made a bright start to the second half, Gosling firing over after good build up work.

But United could easily have been awarded a penalty when Mata went down in the box after good work from Martial and Carrick.

And Carrick saw a deflected effort from distance fly off the underside of the bar as United came close to doubling their advantage.

Lingard saw his effort deflected wide just before the hour mark as Rashford kept the ball alive in the box, Valencia’s powerful effort acrobatically turned away for another corner by Federici.

Smalling headed wide from a corner and Mata saw his effort saved by Federici as United upped the tempo in search of a second goal.

That second goal duly arrived via the flashing boot of Marcus Rashford, who cooly finished Valencia’s knock down to make it 2-0.

Cook tried his luck with an overhead kick which failed to test de Gea, but substitute Young made more impact at the other end, finishing Rooney’s pinpoint pass to make it 3-0 in the dying minutes.

But it was agony for de Gea as, in the final seconds of injury time, Gradel’s effort struck Smalling and found a way into the net to deny the United keeper a share of the Golden Glove.

It was the final act in a league season which failed to live up to expectations for those around Old Trafford, United finishing level on points with neighbours City but well behind on goal difference.

Manchester United: De Gea, Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Borthwick-Jackson, Carrick, Mata (Herrera 75), Rooney, Lingard, Rashford (Memphis 78), Martial (Young 83) Substitutes Not Used: Romero, Jones, Varela, Andreas Pereira

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply